Monday 6 August 2012

Webale Nnyo

(by Natalie)

First and foremost, sincere apologies for the huge delay in a post - after we left from our last day in the hospital, we left on a safari and were left without internet connection everywhere we went.
As they say, time flies when you’re having fun, and boy, did time fly.
Our last week on the wards was quiet, and the last baby I caught was a perfect way to end the placement. It was a mom having a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean). She was getting into lots of positions of her choice, supported by her two sisters. One of the sister called me to come back as the mom started to push. The baby is barely out before it starts crying, and has the sweetest facial expression that we all can’t help but start laughing as the baby is born. It’s a moment I won’t forget, a baby being brought into the world filled with laughter.
After our placement ended in the hospital a week and a half ago, I travelled Uganda a little with Quinn, Jo, Tanya, and Clare, bringing us to today.
Today is my final night in Uganda, and it is so surreal to think that 8 weeks ago I was starting. I had been waiting to come here since I was accepted into midwifery, and I couldn’t quite believe that the moment to be here had finally come. On my first night here I kept wondering about what I would do and see, would I live up to my expectations of myself, would I be able to do it?
And, I feel so proud to say that coming to Uganda met everything I hoped for and more.
I feel so much more confident in my knowledge and skills as a midwife. It is incredible to look back and see how much I have grown in 8 weeks.
I am incredibly grateful to have met all the mothers and babies that I did, to have known their openness and kindness, to feel connected with only our eyes and hands.
Despite some tough days and difficult births, I am so glad that when I look back at this experience I am filled with a deep trust in women’s ability to give birth, their incredible strength, and the wonderful resilience of their babies...

1 comment:

  1. Thank you to all of you who wrote this blog. I have been following along all summer. You have all learned and grown. I am appreciative of the opportunity this blog gave me to get a sense of what the experience has been like for you.

    ReplyDelete